It’s hard to decide what to say to someone sick
As someone who’s lived through a cancer diagnosis, I saw first-hand how people struggle with what to say to the sick person – and potentially dying. A little bit of kindness and compassion can go a long way for anyone, but especially someone who’s dealing with a serious medical crisis.
Decide you want to be supportive
It’s understandable that healthy friends or family members might be uncomfortable facing the illness of a loved one. But rather than say or do nothing because you don’t know what to say or do, muster up your courage and vow to be supportive.
Things to say to a sick person
The following ice-breakers can help you get started. The suggestions aren’t heavy or deep. Your sick loved one probably spends a significant amount of time in their own head being heavy and deep. You can be a supportive diversion, while still acknowledging their struggle.
Try out these simple and handy-dandy all-purpose “I care” statements and actions:
- “I’m really sorry this is happening to you.”
- “I’m sorry you’re feeling so crappy.”
- “If you’re feeling up to it, I’d love to treat you to lunch.”
- “If you ever need a ride to the doctor, please give me a call.”
- “I’ve been thinking about you a lot lately.”
- “I’ve been praying for you.”
- “I love your [fill in the blank].” Ideas: smile, spirit, determination, cancer turbans, toe nail polish – ANYTHING!
- “You’ve always been [fill in the blank] to me.” Ideas: an inspiration, a role model, a best friend, an ideal mom, the best cook, the funniest person, very special – ANYTHING!
- “I love you!”
- Send a Thinking of You card.
Say anything Kind and Genuine
I hope it goes without saying that whatever you say or do should be genuine. Don’t tell someone you’ll pray for them if you won’t. Don’t tell someone you’ve always admired them if you haven’t. There are plenty of genuine kind and caring things you can say or do.
You can never go wrong being supportive or thoughtful toward the sick and dying – or to anyone in life, period.
Which suggestion is your favorite?
Give it a try and let me know how it goes in the comments below!
More Christian Inspiration
Do you or your sick friend need some Christian inspiration to help you through? You might enjoy these book reviews:
Need the perfect gift for a Bible lover? Are you looking for a great gift…
★★★★★ Is your understanding of who God is and how he works in our lives…
★★★★★ It’s ok for you to have questions about your faith. You aren’t the only…
★★★★★ Millions of people around the world have reported a near-death experience. Do they prove…
★★★★★ At some point in their lives, many women may question who they are meant…
Popular podcaster and self-proclaimed control freak Tara Sun shows how “having everything under control” is…