The Parable of the Growing Seed is sometimes known as the Parable of the Seed Growing Secretly. It is included in one Gospel of the New Testament, in the Book of Mark 4:26-29 NIV. You can read the Parable of the Growing Seed HERE.
The Growing Seed Parable is distinctly different, but similar to the Parable of the Mustard Seed, found in the Books of Matthew, Mark, and Luke. In the Book of Mark, the Parable of the Growing Seed is immediately followed by the Parable of the Mustard Seed. There is acknowledgment after the Parable of the Mustard Seed that some parables are similar, but there’s always something different and unique that we can take away from all of Jesus’ teachings.
- The Parable of the Growing Seed Meaning
- Parable of the Growing Seed Lessons and Reflection
- Parable of the Seed Growing Secretly
- More Parables!
The Parable of the Growing Seed Meaning
The Parable of the Growing Seed meaning is a demonstration of how the Kingdom of God spreads to the world. In the parable, a tiny seed begins to grow slowly and eventually it is a full, flourishing plant. In the same way, a small act like prayer, reading a Bible verse, or loving one another can lead to a faithful, growing Christian heart and community.
This post may contain affiliate links. This is my full disclosure.
Parable of the Growing Seed Lessons and Reflection
There are several life lessons that we can take away from the Parable of the Growing Seed.
1. God is behind every miracle in creation
As the Growing Seed Parable states, the seed grows by itself and we don’t understand how. We think of nature as being magical, but it’s actually God’s hand at work behind every miracle in creation. He programmed the seeds to grow into plants, cells to combine and split into human beings, and the universe to do whatever it does to create the Milky Way and galaxies beyond what we can even imagine.
Don’t lose your amazement at the intricacies you see around you. Remind yourself that God designed the delicate flowers and the bees that drink their nectar. God created the human mind to work more efficiently than any machine and fingers to work more precisely than hand tools.
Yes, miracles in God’s creation happen whether we sleep or are awake. They happen independently of anything we do or say. They happen perfectly, just as our amazing God designed them to be.
2. A tiny gesture on your part can change your life
Major changes in our lives, for better or worse, begin with a tiny step. One choice we make leads to the next one and the next one. Before we know it, we have come along much farther than we might have first imagined. So it is with faith. Except, in the case of faith, all we have to do is take a tiny step to plant a seed and God will do the rest, making us grow and change without us ever understanding how. He can mold us into the people He created us to be if we just take the tiniest step.
A good place to start would be praying, which is really just talking to God as if He’s a wonderful Father and Friend. Another simple way to plant a tiny seed is by reaching out to people in need. Maybe your elderly neighbor needs her lawn moved or her garden weeded. Maybe your sickly aunt could use a home-cooked meal and some company.
God uses these gestures and habits to change you from the inside out. Your leaves will start growing. Flower buds will form and then blossom. Bees will be drawn to your sweet nectar and your little tiny choice to turn to God will have transformed you into the beautiful being He designed you to be.
3. A tiny gesture on your part can change the world
Let’s continue with the example above. When you have transformed into a Christian who leads by Christ’s example, there’s no way that the people around you can’t be impacted. We influence the people around us either positively or negatively, whether we want to or not. When our light shines for Christ through our words and actions, it influences others for the better. Your kind act prompts another. Your acceptance of people who are different from you will inspire others. Your generosity to those in need will inspire others. This is the ripple effect that has the potential to change the world. Do your part to send ripples for Christ around the world!
Parables of Jesus Devotional Book – Coming Soon!
Find the Growing Seed Parable Commentary at Bible Study Tools.com where they offer free and paid Bible commentary versions. These links will lead you to the free John Gill’s Exposition of the Bible and Matthew Henry’s Concise Commentary that I referenced for this post.
Parable of the Seed Growing Secretly
26 He also said, “This is what the kingdom of God is like. A man scatters seed on the ground. 27 Night and day, whether he sleeps or gets up, the seed sprouts and grows, though he does not know how. 28 All by itself the soil produces grain—first the stalk, then the head, then the full kernel in the head. 29 As soon as the grain is ripe, he puts the sickle to it, because the harvest has come.”
Do you love the parables as much as I do? You may enjoy reading life lessons on these others (listed below), these activities for adults and children, or this list of Parables and Meanings. More parable lessons are underway. See them all HERE!
Do you love journaling? Does writing down your personal reflections help you process your thoughts more fully? Perhaps these Christian writing journals will be helpful as you reflect on the life lessons of the parables.
- 6 Lessons from Mustard Seed Faith
- 4 Parable of the Hidden Treasure Lessons
- The Parable of the Talents Meaning and 5 Life Lessons
- 3 Parable of the Lost Sheep Lessons Show Jesus’ Love
- Which soil are you like? The Parable of the Sower explained
- 4 Moral Lessons from The Parable of the Ten Virgins
- 3 Life Lessons from the Parable of the Rich Fool
- 3 Lessons from the Parable of the Vineyard Workers
- Parable of the Lost Coin Spiritual Lessons
- The Parable of Two Sons – 3 Spiritual Life Lessons
- The Parable of the Weeds – 4 Sobering Life Lessons
- The Parable of the Persistent Widow
- Lessons from the Parable of the Pharisee and Tax Collector
- The Parable of the Pearl of Great Price Lessons
- The Parable of the Great Banquet Lessons
- Parable of the Shrewd Manager Life Lessons For Today
- Parable of the Yeast Life Lessons for Today
- Parable of the Unforgiving Servant Life Lessons
- Parable of the Wedding Feast Life Lessons
- Parable of the Net Life Lessons
- The Parable of the Growing Seed
- The Parable of the Tenants Life Lessons
- Parables of the Fig Tree Life Lessons
- Lazarus and the Rich Man Parable Life Lessons
- Parable of the Good Shepherd Bible Lessons
- Parable of the Wineskins Spiritual Lessons
- Parable of the Wise and Foolish Builders Lessons
- Parable of the Faithful Servant Life Lessons
- Parable of the Lamp Life Lessons
- Parable of the Two Debtors Life Lessons
- Parable of the Householder Life Lessons
- Parable of the Friend at Midnight Life Lessons
- Parable of the Master and Servant Life Lessons
- Parable of the Watchful Servants Life Lessons
- Take the Lowest Seat Parable Life Lessons
- The Parable of the Prodigal Son Life Lessons
- 5 Parable of the Good Samaritan Lessons
- The Cost of Being a Disciple Life Lessons
Photo by JACQUES BARBARY